Thursday, January 19, 2017

Endless Whispers: Blue Whale Knight Warband

...happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.
-The Necronomicon


Understand firstly that I am dead as a door-nail, else none of the rest shall make sense.  Just who I am is a mystery as vast as my empty grave: naught but nitre adorns my headstone.  My armor encases me, as claustrophobic as a coffin - but I am all the more grateful for it.

I cannot recall anything of my life before the moment I sat up in a freshly-emptied grave.  Someone, something, or some force removed the dirt entombing me - but whatever it was, it is gone now.  I recall only a dim sense of a feeling, an emotion which is as ghostly as I am: failure.

-Darius Frost, Blue Whale Knight-Commander



The Blue Whale Knight was once an order which fought on the decks of sailing ships in full armor.  Needless to say, it suffered attrition of an unendurable nature and was dissolved.  In the lantern-lit graveyards of the Twilight Forest, many Blue Whale Knights have suddenly found themselves in the land of the living again.  As to the reason, none know.  The Wizard may be to blame - but this seems unlikely, as he persecutes them wherever they are to be found.  Now they wander the wilderness, searching for meaning - or just fighting as in life.  Honor, nobility - these knightly qualities have been lost.  Now, only survival remains and each day is just a dreary step towards the uncertain glare of continued existence.  A journey endured for no other reason than the pursuit of a rote, inelegant chore.

Blue Whale Knights are powerful, hulking figures of armor corroded by salt.  They fight as they did in life, by battering aside their enemies and crushing them underfoot.  They are feared, but have at times acted as protectors to the scattered, sere villages of the Starlight Forest.  As a group, they have no common goal, each Knight-Commander pursuing individual goals with little regard for fellowship.







5 comments:

  1. The guy with the wheel shield is particularly cool.

    How about a Whale knight that has dragged himself from the bottom of the ocean - unrecognisable from the corrosion, seaweed and barnacles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea! I actually thought of it, but to be honest I chickened out because I wasn't sure I could pull it off. Do you have any suggestions for barnacles? Or just wing it with green stuff?

      Delete
  2. These are great, so evocative. Inspired me to pick up a box of Blight Kings to make my own Wights/big zombies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were a lot of fun to make. The big guy is actually an Orruck Megaboss.

      Delete
    2. Ah, thought he might be, another cool model I'd like to do something with.

      Delete